What is it and where to find them
Accruals in our case refer to the tracking and recognizing earned but unpaid benefits or compensation such as vacation time, sick time, and other types of time off.
How to find accruals settings:
- Navigate to the Sidebar → Settings → Company Profile → Absence types
- Activate accruals calculations by ticking the “Calculate accruals” checkbox
- Negative units limit– track days in excess of the limit set
if “Negative units limit” = “Allowed negative units limit = 0” : then employees can’t go below 0 in balance when requesting this Absence Type/Time Off.
if “Negative units limit” = “Allowed negative units limit = 5” : then employees can’t go below -5 in balance when requesting this Absence Type/Time Off. So they can dip into the negative, but not get more than 5 extra days.
- Accrual lifetime – the period after which the accumulated but unused days are burned/lapsed
if accrual lifetime = 1 the monthly accruals will accrue over the year; for example 1.5 days / month → 1.5 * 12 = 18 on Dec 31 2023 (accruals are added at the end of every month) → then these 18 days will be burned/lapsed on Jan 1 2024
Maximum allowed accrual – max number of accumulated days at any moment
Maximum yearly allowed accrual – max number of accumulated days per year
Accrual mode – monthly/yearly calculations Accrual schedule – basic accrual rate Calculate balance in – days/hours
Tenure Bonus – bonus for the period of work for the company (based off “employment start date” in the user card)
Accrual Schedule Setup
Accrual schedule = expected number of accrual days / number of months (i.e. 12)
The next iteration of calculations for tenure bonuses will depend on particular client needs.
Accrual lifetime: 1 year
Allowed negative units limit: 0
How to doublecheck the setup
- Navigate to the sidebar and choose Users
- Choose a user and set his Employment start date so it will allow you to see the required period (15+ years in our case):
- Navigate to the Reports
- Choose a Timeoff balance report
- Set the report settings:
- choose an employee (the same from the previous step)
- uncheck Specify period
- set the start date and the end date
- from the dropdown Absences choose the type you are working on
- from the dropdown Download choose the time off balance full
- once it’s downloaded you’ll be able to see how accruals are added/lapsed etc. monthly and yearly and how they change depending on time off requests.